Instructor Led Webinar outline
We use a 4-plus-1 competency framework to help you identify and practice the skills, behaviors, and attitudes of individuals who honor boundaries in public and private spaces.
Regardless of the format you choose (in Class or webinar), the training session is divided into three big concepts, Awareness, Analysis and Action and can be tailored to meet your specific needs.
The Awareness and Analysis sections will help you uncover unconscious insensitivity. Self-awareness, through guided reflection, is an important step in developing a social and emotionally intelligent practice.
In a free and democratic society, no one has the right to tell you what to think. However, organizations have a legal right to set boundaries on your behavior. Because your beliefs and expectations affect your interaction with clients, coworkers and students, it is important to bring them into conscious awareness and take steps to mitigate their influence. The end goal of the introspective process is to help you in working with “others” who may be outside your comfort zone.
The Action section provides you with tools to communicate effectively in a supportive and sensitive manner in order to deliver the highest service possible.
At the close of the in class and webinar session, you will be asked to name your "+1" skill, behavior, or attitude. It is a skill, behavior, or attitude that would help you to be a part of building and sustaining healthy social spaces.
All three formats include a special module for teachers, team leads, supervisors and managers that will help in taking a more measured and sensitive response when dealing with poor performers.
At the close of the workshop, the facilitator will guide you in developing a Personal Action Plan. An Action Plan is a list of tasks that you have to carry out to achieve an objective. It differs from a To Do List in that it focuses on the achievement of a single goal. Wherever and whenever you want to achieve something, draw up an action plan. This allows you to concentrate on the stages of that achievement, and monitor your progress towards it.
Module 1 Awareness: Developing a thoughtful persona
- Toxic communication in public spaces - video reflection
- Boundaries and professional conduct
- Using values to think impact
- How can I be real and not offend?
- The pathway to respectful practice
Module 2 Analysis: The legal boundaries and creating a climate of inclusion
- How the legal boundaries inform conduct
- The H.B.R.C. model: A framework for thinking impact
- Sexual harassment
- Humor: Reflecting on its value
- Anti-sexism and anti-oppression
- A theory of implicit bias
- Micro-affirmations: The power of encouragement
- Boundaries of communication
Module 3 Action: Managing boundaries
- Five skills for building professional rapport
- Reading the face: Listening to the emotional subtext of an interaction
- Attitude is everything model
- Speaking truth to power
- Conflict as an iceberg
- A measured response to poor performers
- Dealing with team politics
- Personal action plan & My plus-1
The workshop will give you some practical tools and techniques that will improve your ability to:
- Communicate effectively in a supportive and sensitive manner by thinking impact and not intent;
- Understand and mitigate the impact of negative images and words that drive your behavior (implicit bias);
- Cultivate personal respect for differences in order to include rather than exclude others.